You put West Virginia hillbillies and chainsaws, sawmills and a woodchipper together with some Vampire Weekend-listening college smartasses, and (at least in this case) you wind up with one of the funniest gorefest films since our own RalphyK's Severance. In fact, James Moran could've well writen this script if he'd been born and raised down here in the South.

I had a mildly amused reaction to this film when I first saw it, but I swear it gets funnier and funnier the further I get away from it. It's like one of those Monet paintings that you don't really see until you back away from it.

As with "Severance," there are no stars you'd know in it. Tyler Labine and Alan Tudyk play the two hillbillies. It was directed by Eli Craig (Sally Field's son) and written By Craig and Morgan Jurgenson. It revolves around a comedy of errors and misunderstandings between the hicks and the college kids. I know you're thinking, "Well, I'd be rooting for the college kids," and therein lies the genius of the thing.

Much of the humor comes from the Abbott and Costello or Laurel and Hardy-type relationship between Tucker and Dale. But the belly laughs come from the throwaway lines during the blood-splattering. I will never again be able to hear, "Just walk it off," again without snickering.