Like purple carrots or blood oranges, purple sweet potatoes are more healthy, less common and more expensive than their more conventionally hued cousins. There are six chief varieties of purple sweet potatoes: Batas, Japanese Purple, Korean Purple, Mokuau, Okinawan and Stokes Purple. All are rich in antioxidants and more flavorful than your run-of-the-mill sweet potato. Like blueberries and cranberries, purple sweet potatoes contain antixodiant/pigments known as anthocyanins such as peonidins and cyanidins. Purple sweet potatoes may have more than three times as many antioxidants than some blueberries!

Look for them in farmer's markets or your local Asian or health food store. Pick ones that are firm and without blemishes. You may pay as much as ten dollars for two potatoes, but they are worth the cost for the taste alone if you don't care about the health benefits. Store them the same way you would any other type of potato: in a cool, dark, dry place (below 60 degrees F).

The easiest way to prepare them is to roast them in a hot oven oven (over 400 degrees F) and bake for forty to sixty minutes. You'll know they're done when you can stick a fork in 'em.

 


Sources:
The George Mateljan Foundation
Be Nutritious
& experience