The trip has been going well so far, as well as it could. Earth handles better than I thought a bus would. The dreams started two days ago and now I try not to sleep, I hope my cowardice hasn't cost us too much. I see them everywhere now at first I thought it was the drugs but I was wrong. It's always out of the corner of my eye they dart back to their place before I get a good look, I'm glad! But I hear them even over the music. I think Ryan hears them too, and I know Scott knows something. Why did he send it to me, why do I have to let them know? Well enough bullshit I have to let them know before it gets out of hand. I let everyone know that there's something I have to read to them now that we're out of the city, it's safer out here. With weak voice and trembling hand I read the letter, I hope they believe me!


Rob -

If you are reading this, I am dead.

I met this waitress in this outdoor bar in Lauderdale. I’m drinking to calm my nerves, and it’s failing miserably. I had just gotten my first look at Steve, and I wish I had never come here. You see, at occasional times I have been able to pick information out of the air around me about things, well, we were doing a line check on the orchestra when they arrived for a spot of rehearsal. Every thing was fine as they trundled through their ancient hits that they stole and sucked dry of money. As I said, all was fine, a few brown notes from Eydie, and then they started in on “Baby, it’s cold outside” and I was knocked down to the stage under the weight of such malignant intent that I had never dreamed in all my Stephen King, Rob and Chris, TV violence life. I downloaded files and files of murderous, soul wrenching evil so fell, so ancient that I dare not name that which eats at the insides of Steve even here on paper. I stood up from behind the modesty panel with a “clumsy me” dying on my lips as I met his eyes.

I knew, and he knows.

With the line check half finished, I brushed past Shannon saying I’d be back, and I came here. While I was nursing my first vodka, I tried a tarot reading, as though a thirty dollar set of playing cards could help. I had a pretty good idea what was going down, and my part in it. I laid out the old pattern with blank cards, shit. This waitress agreed to drop this letter first class If I don’t call her tonight after the show, I think she thinks this is some kind of spy pick up line, but I know she’ll do it.

I write to you because though I am dead, this is far from over. You are my friend and we are bound by things other than friendship, older. What I ask is dangerous, Steve’s money has purchased many minions and the roads I ask you to take are long. Come and get me, come to Florida and claim my body. I will not be safe until it is on Nez-Peirce land. Find Clinton Fuchs in Lewston Idaho, he will take you to where I need to go. I charge you, Ryan, and Chris to send me the way of the kitten. This is not a final request, but a plea screamed from beyond the grave, don’t let it get me, oh Jesus don’t let it get me. I have to go back to meet my destiny, to do what I can to stop it. Steve’s worried, but not about me. Perhaps I can serve as a distraction and hope whatever it is will take him out. I am important somehow, and you will meet resistance, you will be pursued. Tell Chris to bring all his firepower, you will need it. I’ll try and swing luck, and chance as much as I may in your favor because until I am cinders in the pyre, I’ll be with you.

Gather the mutants, you have a mission at last. Boy, I hope I end up fucking the waitress instead.

Dead but dreaming,

Jhasen

We're out of the big city where a man can not be free of the evils of this town and himself and those around.






-robnotrob-
--Letters from a Savior; Offer for a few--


back--forward