krO´nus

The youngest Titan, son of Uranus and Gaea. He married his sister, Rhea and fathered the elder greek gods - Hestia, Zeus, Poseidon, Demeter, Hera and Hades.

He was the only Titan to help his mother, Gaea, in her plan to rebel against Uranus and he subsequently removed his own father's genitals with an adamantine sickle. From the ground where Uranus' blood fell the Furies, Giants and Meliae sprang up.

Paranoia began to creep up on the K man when Rhea began to bear children. An oracle had fated his demise at the hands of his offspring so Kronos naturally swallowed his infant children whole. Rhea soon tired of this - 9 months and for what! - and switched out the infant Zeus for a large rock. One rock swallow later and Zeus was off to Crete to be raised by Amaltheia upon Mount Dicte.

Kronos was eventually dethroned by Zeus, with the help of Gaia, and was forced to regurgitate the swallowed children. In the meantime he was known by the Romans as Saturn - a god of agriculture.

In Athens on the 12th day of the month Hekatombaion a harvest festival known as the 'Kronia' was held in his honor. He was usually depicted carrying a sickle ... and only Uranus knows why.

Commonly referred to as Cronus.
Rarely (but accurately, I guess) referred to as Khronys, Khronos.
Should never be confused with Chronos.




back to
Greek And Roman Mythology