Meadowsweet, or filipendula ulmaria, from the rosaceae plant family, is one of the best herbal digestive remedies available, though I have not personally tried it. It acts holistically, soothing and protecting the mucous membranes of the digestive tract, reducing excess acidity and easing nausea. It is used in the treatment of heartburn, hyperacidity, and gastric and peptic ulceration. Its gentle astringency is useful in treating diarrhea in children. The presence of aspirin-like chemicals explains Meadowsweet's action in reducing fever and relieving the pain of rheumatism in muscles and joints.

The aerial parts of the plant are used medicinally; the fully opened flowers and leaves should be picked at the time of flowering and left to dry at a temperature not exceeding 40 degrees celsius.

Preparation and Dosage:

  • Taken as a tea, pour a cup of boiling water onto 1-2 teaspoonfuls of the dried herb and leave to infuse for 10-15 minutes. This should be drunk three times a day or as needed.
  • As a tincture, 1-4 ml of the tincture should be taken three times a day.

Constituents: Essential oil, and salicylic acid compounds called spiraeine and gaultherin; salicylic acid, tannin, citric acid.

Actions: Anti-rheumatic, anti-inflammatory, stomachic, anti-emetic, asringent, aromatic.