Henry Morgan was born in 1635 in Llanrhymny in Glamorgan, Wales. Very little is known of his childhood, save for that he was kidnapped in Bristol, and sold to General Venables, the head of a naval fleet, to serve in the British navy. It was during his early years under the command of Venables that Morgan took part in the British conquest of the Spanish controlled Jamaica.

Morgan then lived in Jamaica, along with most of his family. In 1663, he married his cousin Mary Elizabeth. In 1666, Morgan became Admiral of the buccaneers, a British naval organization devoted to attacking Spanish forces. One of Morgan's most remembered skirmishes took place in 1668, when it was suspected that Spanish Vice-Admiral Alonso del Campo y Espinosa was plotting to take back Jamaica for Spain. So, before del Campo could strike, Morgan took 600 men to meet them, and hopefully thwart their attack. After a fireship (a ship intentionally set on fire) was sailed into del Campo's main ship, the Magdalen, and sunk it, del Campo had no choice but to retreat.

Morgan spent the years between 1668 and 1672 expanding his plantation on Jamaica, and on short naval excursions where he terrorized the Spanish fleet. However, in 1672, Morgan was tried for having violated a treaty between England and Spain. Due to his years of service to England, though, Morgan was not punished. Soon after that, in 1675, Morgan was knighted Sir Henry Morgan, and lived the rest of his days in Jamaica as the deputy governor. Sir Henry Morgan died in April of 1688 with no heirs.

Sources used:
http://www.cavazzi.com/morgan/
http://www.data-wales.co.uk/morgan.htm