The United States National Chemistry Olympiad is a three-part exam sponsored by the American Chemical Society. It is administered to high-schoolers, and you must be an United States citizen. That's because if you do well enough on the test, you may be able to compete in the International Chemistry Olympiad, representing the United States.

To take it, you must first take a 60 question, multiple choice qualifying test and get a high enough score (I don't know what the magic number is). There can only be eight qualifiers for each local section of the American Chemical Society, and only three from the same high school or teacher.

The test's three parts are as follows: a 90-minute, 60-item multiple choice test; a 105-minute, 8 question free response section (with each question containing several parts); and a 2 item, 90-minute laboratory practical. The tests cover a pretty full range of chemistry topics (considering it's for high-school students) including electrochemistry, thermodynamics, and organic chemistry. Programmable calculators are not allowed.

In my opinion, the tests were not that much tougher than the qualifying test. The lab practical, on the other hand, was rough. It was easy enough to devise your own procedure for a lab, but executing it was another story. A "fun" way to spend a Saturday.