This is a copy of my break-up letter with the girl I've been dating for the past semester.

Dearest _______

I’m writing this letter in order to get my thoughts out and also to wish you the best of luck in your future relationships. I realize that I haven’t exactly been the most exciting and enjoyable person and that this is probably a big factor in our relationship not working out. However, and I don’t mean to start any shit here, I do believe that we both had our flaws, especially when it came to alcohol. I guess I was a little naïve when you first told me that you didn’t make a very good girlfriend, so it’s possible the whole thing was doomed from its inception. Yet I still think we both made a good run at making things work, and it’s too bad that everything didn’t work out as planned, but such is life, and it’s probably for the best that things ended when they did. I think that personally I’ve gained a lot from the whole situation and it will hopefully make me a better person. I hope that you share in this feeling and that you will soon find someone who can make you feel happy and make you laugh. As for myself, I’m actually rather glad to be back in the sea, so to speak, because it’s allowed for me to get back in touch with some old friends. I’d really like to remain friends, but only as long as there are no more incidents in which we decide to be anything more, because it’s just become too awkward afterwards and I’m ready to move on and begin something new. This is the first time I’ve done anything like this, so I hope that it doesn’t creep you out or offend you in anyway, and if it does please talk with me about it. I’m sorry for putting things so bluntly but I think writing out my feelings is much easier than explaining them.


Sincerely,

Dave

I gave her the letter yesterday, and she called but I was too wrapped up in my emo music to hear the phone... but now I think it's time to start up the RATM, and move on.