Today, we go live. That's what 'they' (whoever they are, I have a sneaking suspicion that 'they' are evil corporate overlords) call it when the company switches data compiling/data organizing/traceability insuring/keeping track of this, that, and blah blah blah software. Today is the day when the shit hits the steel blades of the 10,000,000 revolutions per minute fan.

Today, my files die. The funeral procession is an endless string of once useful lines of programming. There will be a redundant right-click-and-delete session. 'Are you sure you want to delete (no longer useable file name here_________).' Yes, I'm sure. Caps Lock. It's no longer any consolation of having remapped my Caps Lock key to function as an Enter key. I no longer feel like I need an Enter key on that side. It serves now only as an ax, hacking away at the throat of my files.

Today is the day when 'we' (subjects of the corporate overlords) are given training on how the new system works. It's a funeral for all the applications I've developed. The I.T. department sent out an email. 'They' will be recreating our profiles. The server will unsurprisingly be down. And there will be confusion, hysteria, and riots.

The programs I have developed will all have to be reprogrammed. Or deleted and recreated from the ground up. Coffee, lots of coffee, will keep my fingers eagerly using the tapping at the keyboard to input commands that are sorely needed on the leaderless program.

The two twenty-inch monitors that were once filled with color and vibrant user interfaces that I created are now an arid wasteland, projecting only blank empty looks of pity.

The revival starts now. I tell myself, "I think I'll start here". I begin. Someone calls and sets a higher priority on the particular application that they use which is now a wandering ghost of a program. More people will call, all with a suggestion on the skeleton they feel should be resurrected.

They will ask, "Why can't you just use that one application that automatically..." No. Because it's dead. They're all dead.

I'll spend my days inspecting random corpses.