First released in 1993 on her third album, Fumbling Towards Ecstasy (Nettwerk), "Possession" is a song written by Canadian artist Sarah McLachlan. It was written partially in response to a series of letters sent to her by an obsessive fan, Uwe Vandrei, who then sought legal action against her for allegedly using excerpts from his letters in this song, but apparently committed suicide before his appearance in court. McLachlan has mentioned in interviews how, in writing this song, she tried to put herself into the mind frame of someone who is so fixated on a stranger that he or she insists that they were meant to be as a couple--or even contemplates murder when that union is unwanted or otherwise impossible. She also states that the song was a reaction to her being told that she would require a bodyguard for her own safety.

"Possession" and remixes of it have appeared on various albums other than Fumbling Towards Ecstasy, including:

  • Possession (single): "Possession (Album Version)" (1994)
  • Rarities, B-Sides and Other Stuff: "Possession (Rabbit In The Moon Mix)" (1996)
  • Mirrorball: "Possession" (Live from 1998's Lilith Fair performances)
  • Possession/Fear single: "Possession 1" and "Possession 2" (remixed by John Fryer) (1998)
  • Sarah McLachlan Remixed: "Possession (Rabbit In The Moon Mix)" (2003)