Leg of Lamb is just as it sounds. It's the leg from a lamb. People usually like to roast it with spices and vegetables and eat it.

My favorite recipe for roast Leg of Lamb is as follows:

  • First things first, take the leg (usually about 6 pounds on the bone) and poke holes with a knife and insert quarter cloves of garlic into the holes.
  • Next, mix up the spices. This is done mainly to taste, so play with the proportions as you see fit. The primary spices are (in order of quantity):
    1. Thyme
    2. Dill Weed
    3. Oregano
    4. sea salt
    5. Black Pepper
    6. Cumin
    7. Sage
    Now I know it's traditional to use Rosemary on lamb. I know that, but I personaly can't stand Rosemary. I think the aversion to Rosemary runs in my family or something. The Sage fills the same role in this recipe. I must also emphasize that you don't need much of this spice mix. Lamb has a wonderful, rich, and delecate natural flavor.
  • Next you want to parboil some coarsely chopped yams, potatoes, and carrots. This is done so they will get a head start on the lamb while cooking.
  • Now plop the lamb down in a big ol' roasting tin. Pour the parboiled veggies around it to fill the pan at least halfway up. Mix in some uncooked coarsely chopped onions and garlic.
  • Take about a cup and a half of olive oil and sprinkle it over the lamb and the vegetables. You can also take pats of butter and distribute them around the pan if you wish (it's a matter of taste).
  • Sprinkle the lamb and vegetables with the handy spice mix that you made earlier.
  • Take a roasting thermometer and stick it into the center of the deepest part of the leg, but not contacting the bone. Put the whole thing into an oven pre-heated to 325 degrees F.
  • Every half hour or so baste the lamb and vegetables with juices from the bottom of the pan.

When the thermometer reads 140 F the lamb will be rare, or 160 is well done. When it's arrived at the temperature you like, take it out and drain off the juices to make gravy. Let it sit for 15 minutes after coming out of the over before serving.