Torie was working points from the base of Vivi’s skull down in to her shoulder blades when Vivi began to sob. Torie was not alarmed; it was not the first time that a client had cried in her massage room.
Torie began to work Vivi’s shoulders. The touch was so sure, so utterly free that it released even more tears. Vivi’s body shook, and the massage therapist stopped briefly to hand her a Kleenex.
Torie began to lightly stroke Vivi’s back, and to rock her ever so slightly. Her hands were warm against Vivi’s skin, and as Torie stroked, Vivi could feel her own breathing start to steady. Sometimes she could not believe that anyone could touch her body like this, with such acceptance, such loving detachment, asking for nothing in return. There were places she still could not bear to be touched. Her belly, for one. Her belly stuck out too much, she was ashamed of it, could not accept the idea that it was anything but hideous. There were other spots, though—her legs, her neck, her head—which luxuriated in being massaged. There were moments during her sessions with Torie that Vivi could only describe as religious. Moments when she came home to her body in ways she never had before—moments when she felt its aches, varicose veins, and wrinkles so intimately and gently that she groaned with a happiness she could never describe. Fleeting seconds when Vivi knew that her body, in all its imperfections, was her own lived-in work of art. 1

_____________________

Getting a professional massage is both a luxury and an luxurious experience, but the first time, it’s a bit daunting. Some of us have difficulty with the idea of being naked in a room with a stranger who’s going to touch us (I’m expecting to hear laughter from those of you to whom this sounds like heaven) and taking that leap of faith can be a downright scary, if ultimately rewarding, thing to do.

I have found, in my limited experience, that massage therapists are all about making you feel comfortable and relaxed. Usually, they will talk to you before the massage, asking any questions and doing their best to put you at ease. You will decide how long the massage will be—anywhere from an half hour to two hours, usually in half hour increments—and you can discuss just how naked you want to be. My first time, I filled out a form listing health concerns and what I was hoping to get out of the massage, and there was space to list any areas of my body I wanted particular attention paid to, or that I wanted left alone (and safely covered up). (Once, the masseuse started the massage by working on my feet. I like having my feet done, but next time I'll request that they work up to that--I was too ticklish, right off the bat.) During the massage, you are encouraged to provide feedback on issues related to your comfort: the temperature of the room, choice of background music, depth of pressure, type of lotion or oil being used, etc.

Once you have decided to take the plunge and get a professional massage, consider the following guidelines in order to optimize your experience:

  • Avoid eating directly before your appointment
  • Arrive early to give yourself time to meet the therapist and ask any questions.
  • A warm shower or time spent in the whirlpool (before or after) will enhance the effects of your massage

After the big event, make sure you drink plenty of water, to help flush out any toxins that the massage released from your muscle tissue, and enjoy the deep, sound night’s sleep that follows.

Many different types of massages are available. Here are some of the more popular types:

Swedish/ Western Massage

goals: relaxation and improved circulation, relief of tension, expanded range of motion techniques: client disrobes and lies on a massage table. Five types of manipulation are employed: effleurage (long strokes); friction (deep, circular movement); petrissage (kneading); tapotement (percussion); and vibration.

Sports Massage

goals: enhance performance, prevent injury, keep body flexible, heal injuries techniques: client’s muscle and joint movements are analyzed; any combination of deep tissue strokes, muscle massage, compression, or pressure point therapy are employed as needed.

Reiki

goals: align chakras and bring healing energy to organs and glands; relaxation, healing of general ailments techniques: similar to laying on of the hands; passive touch produces warmth or tingling sensation in some clients.

Shiatsu

(Japanese for finger pressure)

goals: reduce stress, eliminate fatigue, alleviate symptoms including back pain, headaches, constipation, or cramps. techniques: client is fully clothed, resting on a mat; using acupressure points, the practitioner works to balance the flow of yin and yang energies and life force in the body. See also Jin Shin Do ®

Deep Tissue Massage

goals: reshape and realign muscles and connective tissues; release chronic pain and tension; correct damage from injuries such as back strain or whiplash techniques: client disrobes; therapist works through muscle tension layer by layer, eventually reaching the deeper muscles. Feldenkrais ®, Rolfing ®, Hellerwork ® and Trager® are all varieties of deep tissue massage.

Orthopedic Massage

goals: relieve chronic pain, heal sports injuries; restore pain-free motion techniques: very medical in approach; therapist seeks underlying causes and pathology of condition, and utilizes stretching, myofacial* release, frictioning, and neuromuscular therapy. *myo=muscle and fascia=the elastic connective tissue which is wrapped around muscles; myofacial release involves applying gentle sliding pressure against areas of the body.

Craniosacral Massage

goals: improve nerve system functioning, reduce stress, muscular relaxation, support immune system techniques: client can be clothed or not; gentle movements of the bones and tissues of the head, thorax, and hips enhance the flow of cerebrospinal fluid, restoring balance to the body. (cranio=cranium, the bony part of the head; sacrum= the bony bottom of the spine).

Chiropractic Massage

goals: return to and maintain a maximum state of health techniques: client is clothed or partially clothed; gentle manipulations of the spine, muscle work, and work on specific organs may be included; part of a holistic approach to health care.

Aromatherapy Massage

goals: reduce level of harmful stress hormones, stimulate circulation of the blood; can be sedative or stimulating, depending on what essential oils are used techniques: client disrobes; therapist uses essential oils and long, flowing strokes (effleurage); environment often includes soft music and candlelight.

Stone Therapy / Thermotherapy

goals: soothes aching muscles; encourages deep relaxation, healing of body and/or mind techniques: client disrobes and lies face down; smooth hot and/or cold stones are placed on the spine and other key points of the body.

Seated Chair Massage

Lasts 5-15 minutes; often performed in a corporate or business setting. Client sits, fully clothed, in specialized chair; techniques include Shiatsu and Swedish massage.

___________________

In this w/u, I have attempted to provide a brief overview of what can be expected from different types of massage; I welcome any additions or corrections. Many of these techniques are covered in more detail in their own nodes.

1 Rebecca Wells, Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, HarperTorch, 1996, pp. 301-302. Information gleaned from: ACAC (Atlantic Coast Athletic Club) Fitness and Wellness Center pamphlet: Therapeutic Massage http://www.palmettomassage.com/TypesOfMassage.htm http://www.mypleasure.com/education/sexed/massage_101.asp http://www.bodymindspirit.net/BodyTher.HTML