Now here's something a little different.

 The hollandaise sauce is most definitely one of the most well known and classic sauces to have been created. It was part of the revolutionary inventions of the late great Augusta Georges Escoffier. Known as "The chef of kings and the king of chefs", this great man changed the world of food and general kitchen operation in ways that are used even still today.

 

 Besides his awesome contribution to the world of food, his recipes have become great foundations for today's inventors use to reach new levels of creativity.

 The idea of changing Escoffier's recipes has been looked down upon by several great chefs and culinologist alike. I would like to say to them, enjoy the dark ages, times have changed. This is not in any way a mockery to those great role models and sticking to what works is always a great idea, it's just not that much fun.

Right so about this recipe, one should once again have an open mind to different things, this is what makes individualism such an amazing right as a human being. Instead of the conventional way of making a hollandaise sauce with egg yolks and ghee, this recipe is perfect for the more health conscious amongst us. Where the old classic recipes of Escoffier are brilliant and so tasty, they are however very rich and fattening.

  One must remember that information about heart disease and cholesterol in the 1870's where not around, besides the technology that we have today. The use of healthier ingredients is a great alternative for those on diets or even those just trying to eat healthier.

This recipe provides the same creaminess and flavor. But without all of the fat and calories. Just to add a different touch hollandaise sauce uses grapefruit instead of lemon. It gives quite a subtle undertone flavor that just makes it such a brilliant summer sauce. This recipe does require a small amount of practical skill, but as I have always said practice really does make perfect.


 

Grapefruit and olive oil hollandaise sauce

 Ingredients

  •  Half a grapefruit
  • 2 x egg yolks
  • 200mls olive oil on hand
  • 20ml white wine vinegar 
  • Rock salt and freshly ground black pepper

 Method 

  1. Place egg yolks, vinegar in heavy sauce bowl, squeeze in half grapefruit juice and a few of the fleshy bits for extra texture. Give a light beat just to start incorporating air.
  2. Place sauce bowl over a double boiler on low heat, using a whisk or electric beater, beat the yolks until they become frothy and remove from stove. Be not sure to leave on the heat for too long as you will then be making plain old scrambled eggs.
  3. Once off the heat, slowly add in olive oil beating slowly. Be careful not pour it in too quickly as the sauce will then split. As soon as the hollandaise has a creamy shiny consistency it is ready to serve.

 This sauce is perfect hot or cold, with salads or seafood dishes.

 My favorite combination would have to be, grilled salmon darne with aniseed and honey caramelized lemon slice served with a grapefruit and olive oil hollandaise sauce.

 Bon appetit!