We had a sizeable earthquake in the Pacific Northwest - where I live - maybe a month or so ago. It was the first one I had been through in quite a while. At the time it happened I was in my apartment on the third floor of a very old building (built in 1912). Suffice to say it really freaked me out.

Ever since the quake I have had a recurring dream. It's very simple: I am in my bed sleeping (in the dream as well, as well as in real life) and I realize another earthquake is happening. I feel my bed shaking. I feel the building swaying from side to side. I have a terrible feeling that this time the building will not withstand it, but I cannot wake up and get out.

I've had this dream about 6 times. Sometimes the details are a little different. One time I remember thinking, "This is the best place to be, here in bed. If the building falls I will hang on tight and the mattress will cushion my (three story) fall."

The last time it happened was the strangest. In the dream my body was still in bed, but my sense of sight was racing around the building. I could see in between the walls, where pipes were bending and bricks were cracking. My sight raced down till I was looking at the foundation and watching it crumble.