-/+
People are not meant to rise before 4:00 am.
Let me just tell you, finishing up standard household chores at midnight and climbing from my warm bed at 3:40 am is, at best, unnatural. Four in the morning is the natural dividing line between late night and early morning. Waking up before 4:00 feels wrong. Go ahead, try it. The act seems to create a feeling of unease, as if one had stepped out of ordinary time and into a time in-between.
They call it liberty becasue they can take it away from me
Liberty expired at 5:00 am, and the ship sailed at 8:00 am. Of course, stuff was found broken almost immediately, and I didn't get my second cup of coffee until 7:30. Not an auspicious way begin the underway period.
I miss the kids already.
Even though the girls were irritating and the boy was cranky and slept like he was tortured by demons, I still wish I could be home tonight. I like hearing his voice at night, and I like reading to the girls before they sleep. We're almost done with Ramona Quimby, Age 8.
Oh yeah, well I've got a bed where I work!
And I'm not afraid to use it. I took time out from a rapidly deteriorating day to take a big ole nap from around 9:00 until 11:30. Very nice, If you have the means, I highly recommend it.
Some days are better than others
This day was not. Caught two guys sleeping on watch. They didn't wait until they were done, like I did. Laid out on the floor, snooring, dead-ass-asleep. I walked in the switchboard, walked around them, and left without either of them even twitching.

Then, more things break. Lots more things break. We fix some of them.

Life appears to get better, but it turns out bad things were simply happening without my knowledge.

Major lube oil leak, major lube oil leak!!
Words that engineers don't like. Lube oil, although not overly flammable like gasoline or naptha, will still start quite a fierce fire. Engineers, and sailors in general, don't like fire, especially Class B Fires.

So, today we had two major lube oil leaks and one fuel oil leak, along with all the other fun minor casualties.

Tomorrow is either going to be much better, or I won't be able to node for a while, because I'll be on fire.