Early symptoms of any type of malnutrition are very general and include fatigue, irritability, and lethargy. As protein and calorie deprivation continues (leading toward starvation), one sees growth failure, loss of muscle mass, generalized swelling (edema), and decreased immunity. A large, protuberant belly is common. Skin conditions such as dermatitis, changes in pigmentation, thinning of hair, and vitiligo are seen frequently. Shock and coma precede death.

Improving calorie and nutrient intake will correct symptoms provided that treatment is not started too late. However, for children, full height and growth potential will never be achieved. Severe malnutrition may leave a child with permanent mental and physical disabilities. There is good statistical evidence that malnutrition early in life permanently decreases IQ.

Though most often seen in very poor areas, or during famines or droughts, one US government estimate suggests that as many as 50 percent of elderly persons in nursing homes in the US suffer from protein-calorie malnutrition. (source: MEDLINE)

There are also specific diseases caused by malnutrition:


MEDLINE Plus Health Information: A service of the National Library of Medicine, http://medlineplus.adam.com