Also part of the name for an area on the Jackson River within the James River Basin in southwestern Virginia, the Alleghany Highlands. The Alleghany Highlands are located within the Allegheny (Appalachian) Mountains, south of the Shenandoah Valley, west of the Blue Ridge Parkway, and bisected by Interstate 64.

The Highlands encompasses 452 square miles, and includes one independent city, Covington, VA and two towns, Clifton Forge, VA and Iron Gate, VA. Four-fifths of the area is forested, with over 300,000 acres of woodlands, and both the George Washington National Forest and Thomas Jefferson National Forest lie at least partially within it, along with several state parks, lakes, and golf courses, and promixity to two five-star resort hotels: the Homestead and the Greenbrier. Just as in the Scottish Highlands, hunting, fishing, boating, camping, hiking, wildlife viewing, skiing and golf are popular recreational activities in this highland region.

According to the 2000 U.S. Census, total population in the Alleghany Highlands was 23,518: Clifton Forge, 4,289; Covington, 6,303; Alleghany County, 12,926. The earliest recorded settlement was in 1746. The Highlands was formed in 1822 with Covington being incorporated in 1833 and Clifton Forge incorporated in 1884. The Alleghany High School mascot is the Mountaineer.