The amaryllis is a winter flowering bulb that has large, bright trumpet shaped flowers. These flowers are usually associated with the Christmas Holiday season, which I'm certain has pagan origins; the flower, we all know the holiday was appropriated.

In early October, the bulb should be removed from the pot, have its roots washed of soil and then placed on the basement floor. Allow its leaves to dry off naturally. This signals the bulb to go into a dormant stage that it requires to flower again.

In about two months, remove the dried leaves and roots. The bulb should be planted in a pot 1'' to 2'' larger in diameter than the bulb. Place your amaryllis so that one half to two thirds of the bulb is above the soil line in a mixture of two parts potting soil to one part sand, perlite or vermiculite. this will ensure proper drainage and prevent root rot. Water immediately and place in a cool, bright room, out of direct sunlight.

Once top growth appears, place the plant in a sunny window. Be sure to rotate it every day or so to prevent it from leaning to one side. You can extend the life of the flowers by removing the long pollen-bearing stamens with tweezers. When the flowers wither, cut the flower stalk about 2'' above the bulb, but leave the leaves! Give your amaryllis a monthly fertilizer to keep it healthy and happy, and ensure a good flowering next year.

Lather, rinse, and repeat when necessary.