Premature ejaculation is an ejaculation before the man wants it to occur. This may occur because the man is unable to recognize that he is about to ejaculate and even when he does recognize he is approaching ejaculation, he feels he is unable to control or delay the process. Ejaculation is a reflex that, once a certain level of stimulation is reached, becomes automatic. Controlling the ejaculatory reflex requires that the man be able to recognize and regulate the amount of stimulation he is experiencing so that he does not reach the level that will trigger the ejaculatory reflex before he wants to.

In most cases of early ejaculation the man has a history of concern and worry about his ability to control his ejaculation dating back many years, often to his first sexual relationship or before. Some therapists think that young men unknowingly are encouraged by events in their early sexual lives to teach themselves to ejaculate rapidly. Early experiences of masturbating quickly to get to the newfound good feeling of orgasm (or to avoid being caught), or rushing through sexual experiences in the back seat of a car, or on the family couch, may contribute to a young man unknowingly learning to ejaculate quickly.

Treating Premature Ejaculation
Some methods that are used by sex therapists and doctors include:
1. The squeeze method- this method has the partner stimulate the man's penis until he is close to ejaculation. At the point when he is about to ejaculate, the partner squeezes the penis hard enough to make him partially lose his erection. By circling the hand just below the head of the penis, a squeeze will prevent ejaculation. The goal of this technique is to teach the man to become aware of the sensations leading up to orgasm, and then begin to control and delay his orgasm on his own.
2. The stop-start method-Stop-start involves the partner stimulating the man's penis, except that when the man instructs, the partner stops stimulating the man's penis before ejaculation becomes inevitable. Then as he feels he regains control, he instructs the partner to begin again. Gradually, the stop-start method is applied to intercourse, and the affected male can learn to gauge his sensations to prevent ejaculation to last longer in bed.
3. Communication- By talking about the problem, some males may overcome their fears and inhibitions about premature ejaculation. Males can seek counselling from sex clinics or therapists, or they can talk with their partner about their feelings. Books and articles can help make this condition something a couple can work through and get beyond, not live in frustration with.