A series of fantasy novels by Philip Pullman, consisting of The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass. Though ostensibly for children, His Dark Materials has enough complexity in its characters, theology, and fantasy-logic that adults should not shy from it. In some respects, I consider it superior to Lord of the Rings (gasp!): the cast of characters is as large, and as lovingly developed, but it has a wider range of people and fewer instances of simplistic, absolute evil. There's absolute evil, all right -- just not absolutely evil people. They may be unhappy, selfish, misinformed, or insane, but Pullman's people have reasons for what they do. And, unlike in Tolkien, there are interesting and important female characters as well as Men. Pullman also succeeds in blending the grandeur of high fantasy with a mundane sensibility that makes it possible to love and identify with his story as well as stand back in awe.

The language of His Dark Materials is simple, but not condescendingly so. The prose is lyrical and the story is always captivating. The characters in the trilogy include angels, bears, priests, witches, Texans, ghosts, preadolescents, seductresses, and scientists. This isn't so amazing for a fantasy novel, but what is amazing is that all of them are first and foremost people. Their strangeness not only makes a good yarn, it also speaks directly to our own humanity and personal experience.