Consisting of Book One:The Universe Next Door, Book One:The Trick Top Hat, and Book One:The Homing Pigeons, the trilogy (copyright 1979) is a follow-up and companion piece to The Illuminatus! Trilogy. A dizzying ride through quantum physics and politics, a manifold of images taken from the late seventies. Robert Anton Wilson obviously was taking a lot of hallucinogens when writing TI!T with Robert Shea. For Schroedinger's Cat he ditches his co-author, and appears to have spent a little more time with cocaine. Different decade, different drug, same ethic -- "It's an ill wind that blows no minds."

Structurally, this book is a glimpse though the multiverse, several different takes on the world as seen through the eyes of several of the players from TI!T.


Although not a linear sequel, SCT does follow the themes of metaprogramming, mental circuits, and the ideas of Timothy Leary. When recommending these books to people, I always say, "Illuminatus will blow your mind. Schrodinger will show you how to blow everybody else's."
In my copy, there is a notation on the first page, in neatly lettered black ink. It says "Happy Jack". I believe I was on LSD when I made the note. I wish I knew what it means. It seems that if I could understand what a lesser-know Who song has to do with the universe next door, I would understand Everything.