This high-protein recipe is one of my signature dishes. The beans add a unique flavor and texture.

Several Yukon Gold potatoes (peeling is optional)
One large red onion
one can garbonzo beans (also known as ceci beans or chickpeas) (Canned work best, but you can soak and precook your own if you prefer, or use home canned)
one-half pound extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Slice the potatoes and onions one-quarter of an inch thick. Layer in lightly greased pan, with handfuls of garbonzo beans sprinkled between each layer. Top with the cheese.

Prepare a white sauce. The amount will vary based on the amount of potatoes you are making.
Heat milk and butter, with salt, pepper, and garlic to taste.
Mix some milk and cornstarch in a lidded jar, shaking well. This is a roux. The thickness of the roux determines the thickness of the sauce. Don't do what I did this morning and make the roux too thick, or your sauce will be lumpy.
Add the roux to the heated, almost boiling milk/butter mixture and stir until it thickens. If it doesn't, keep adding roux. Pour the thickened souce evenly over the potatoes -- there should be enough to cover them entirely.

Bake covered until it bubbles in the middle or the spuds are tender. Continue to bake, uncovered, until nicely browned.