Every town has a legend, ours is an empty school house at the top of hill.  The legend goes back more than a hundred years.  Every twelve years, they say and always on Halloween,  the house takes a single child from town and does not let them go.   Early in the day, or late at night,  a child wanders in and is never seen from again.  For as long as anyone can remember.   

Some people say the house was burned down after the War, but magically rebuilt itself in the last few weeks of October,  11 years and 11 months after the fire.  Maybe that part never happened.  There aren't any photos of a fire of course- or of the new/old house.  There have never been any photos of the missing children either.  No videos, nothing.  Despite numerous attempts to record what happened,  nothing is ever saved.  No evidence can be had.   It happens, people talk about it and it does not stop happening. 

In 2006 my sister went inside the house,  looking for her little sister.  The girl ran out a back door (she says).   My sister did not.  

Next Month will be twelve years and on the 31st  It will be my turn to go inside to look for her.   

 

Because I promised her.   Because I can't go another decade of wondering what if.