BATHSHEBA
(bath shee' buh) HEBREW: BATHSHEBA
"daughter of abundance/an oath" (?)
_______________

So great was Bathsheba's beauty that it drove David, the Lord's anointed king, to adultery and murder. While Bathsheba's husband, Uriah the Hittite, was away in battle, David saw her bathing and summoned her to his quarters. Without apparent protest, she joined the king in adultery and married him after he arranged for Uriah to be killed in battle. Though her first son died, she made David promise that her second son, Solomon, would succeed him. When David was near death, she used this promise to block the elevation of his eldest surviving son, Adonijah. In 1 Chronicles 3:5, Solomon's mother is called Bath-shua.

{E2 Dictionary of Biblical People}


Related Quotes...
1 Chronicles 3:5; "And these were born unto him in Jerusalem; Shimea, and Shobab, and Nathan, and Solomon, four, of Bathshua the daughter of Ammiel:"

2 Samuel 11:2, ff; "And it came to pass in an eveningtide, that David arose from off his bed, and walked upon the roof of the king's house: and from the roof he saw a woman washing herself; and the woman was very beautiful to look upon. ..."

2 Samuel 12:24; "And David comforted Bathsheba his wife, and went in unto her, and lay with her: and she bare a son, and he called his name Solomon: and the LORD loved him."

1 Kings 1:11-1 Kings 2:19; "Wherefore Nathan spake unto Bathsheba the mother of Solomon, saying, Hast thou not heard that Adonijah the son of Haggith doth reign, and David our lord knoweth it not? ..."