(Danish: København)

As nwman called it "Capital of that nice little country". The Capital City of Denmark, lying on the islands of Zealand (Sjælland), and Amager. It was a small fishing village until 1167, when the bishop of Roskilde built a castle on the site of the present Christiansborg palance. A settlement quickly grew up and it became the Danish capital in 1443.

Lying across the Øresund from Malmö, in Sweden, the city is one of Scandinavia's liveliest and largest with a population of around 1.4 million. For tourists, the city has maintained a good balance between daytime sightseeing and an active nightlife. For sightseers, the city is replete with countless museums, castles and old churches, including the Rådhus (City Hall), Gammel Torv (where the city's central market once was), Tivoli, the little mermaid, the Royal Theatre, Charlottenburg (seat of the Royal Academy of Arts), Nyhavn -- a picturesque canal, dug 300 years ago -- and, of course, Amalienborg Palace, home of the royal family since 1794. And for the clubbers, pubs and clubs are open until the early hours of the morning.

The city was occupied by Germany between April 1940 and May 1945, and was also site to an important battle in both British and Danish Naval history on April 2, 1801, when the British fleet led by Sir Hyde Parker and Nelson destroyed the Danish fleet. The various skirmishes and battles between Britain and Denmark had deep ramifications for the industrialisation of Denmark and the emancipation of the Working Classes.

Population (1990): 1,337,100