It was a well made movie, quite unsettling. What I remember most about Sex, Lies and Videotape is how deftly Andie McDowell's character depicts exactly the sort of person everyone should be warned to stay the hell away from. The kind of person I call a 'walking vortex of unnecessary suffering'. They inflict suffering on themselves, on innocent bystanders, but especially on anybody close to them. Andie's husband might be a pig, but she is the sort of bloodless lamer who drains every last bit of joy from life by overanalyzing everything until it turns to shit. Lady, shut up, sit down, and enjoy the fucking scenery. You only live once.

I recommend that you go see SL&VT. If Andie's character reminds of a significant other, stop struggling and start making plans to dump that moody asshole immediately. My mom was married to one for like thirty years, and believe her and me: it never gets any better. If Andie's character reminds you of someone you think you'd like to be involved with, reconsider.

Did I miss the point of the movie? Perhaps, but it sure was cathartic to be able to point at the screen and say to my friends (as they tried in vain to shush me): "that is what I've been talking about all along." It was also cathartic cheering for Andie's vastly cooler sister.