A million babies die for lack of breastfeeding? Are they otherwise being fed, or is it really that they are malnourished? Please explain.

Let me clarify:

The World Health Organization estimates that 1.5 million infants die around the world every year because they are not breastfed.

Breastfed children do not get diarrhea from contaminated water in mixed formula (pre-mixed formula is not offered in third world nations.)

Breastfed children do not get seizures from low sodium levels caused by watered down formula. (This happened just this February in Minnesota to two separate families)

Breastfed children don’t get salmonella, strep, staph and botulism from improperly sterilized feeding equipment. (again not an exclusively third world problem)

Breastfed children have a 25% higher chance of living to age 3 worldwide.

If you are merely arguing semantics then the statement that might satisfy you is this: They are malnourished because they are not breastfed. The element in breastmilk that children can’t obtain anywhere else is perfection. Perfect balance of water to nutrient. Perfect freedom from bacteria. Perfect antibodies passed from mother to child. Perfect lack of financial impact on a family who can’t afford it.

When you go to a hospital to have a baby, you don’t just come home with a new member of the family. You come home with a little baby wrapped in a little white onesie with a little pink or blue knit cap and some teeny tiny booties. If you forgot (or didn't have time to get) a going home outfit you will get a little blanket to bundle your infant home. All of these were paid for by a formula company.

Oh, but wait that’s not all! You will also get a free little bottle bag - not a diaper bag mind you, diapers and wipes and all the other trappings wouldn't fit in this. It is a thermal insulated bag with a pocket for an ice pack and made to hold two or three bottles of delicious, nutritious formula!

And wonder of wonders here is a case (yes I'm not kidding a case) of formula to put in your trunk! It's just enough to get you through until your milk dries up. Just enough for baby to get really used to the bottle nipple Playtex so generously donated in your Infant Nutrition Starter set.

Your doctor, nursing staff and hospital have just set you up to be a consumer of a formula company. You will spend about $3000 over the course of 12 - 18 months on an inferior product when you could have had the real thing for free.