My Grandmother's Recipe for Karo Casserole

Ingredients

Important note: This ends up the best when the noodles are al dente at just about the time everything else is done... For me, putting the noodles in just before draining the hamburger works best.

  1. Brown the hamburger, then drain. Set stove to medium, and put the pan (w/ hamburger)back onto the stove.
  2. Drain 1/4cup of juice off the Stewed Tomatoes.
  3. Mix the the Chopped Peppers, Stewed Tomatoes, and the remainder of the juice with the Hamburger.
  4. Mix the Karo, the salt, pepper, and chili powder in a small bowl. Stir with a fork until blended well.
  5. Stir Karo blend into hamburger/tomato mixture. Turn pan back up to Med-Hi.
  6. Mix the extracted tomato juice from the beginning with the Corn Starch. Stir into Hamburger/Karo mixture when it starts boiling.
  7. Stir until thickened.
  8. Mix with the cooked noodles in casserole dish, cover with the cheese, and bake on 350 until cheese is starting to brown (just a little bit of brown, mind you)

And finally, ENJOY

PS - If anyone happens to find this recipe from some magazine put out in 1973 or earlier, please msg me and I'll add it on here... That's the earliest anyone in my family has known her to make it, and since she is unavailable for comment, I have to leave it up to anyone else to find.