George Mason University is a large public university with three campuses in Northern Virginia, with a 2001 enrollment of 23,408 (undergraduate and graduate) The university was named for George Mason, the author of the Virginia constitution.
The university was founded in 1957 as a satellite campus to the University of Virginia, located in Fairfax County, Virginia, a short distance south of the Fairfax, Virginia city limits. GMU became an independent public degree granting institution in 1966.

Addresses:

Fairfax Campus:
George Mason University
4400 University Drive
Fairfax, VA 22030-4444

Arlington Campus:
Original Building
3401 N. Fairfax Drive
Arlington, VA 22201

Prince William Campus:
10900 University Blvd.
Manassas, VA 20110

The main (Fairfax) campus is dominated by the Johnson Center, an enormous 4 story building located in the southern part of the campus. This large building contains a portion of the library holdings, a full service restaurant, several fast food franchises, numerous administrative offices, meeting halls, a gymnasium, and a theater. The distinguishing feature of its architecture is the unusual, geometric central spire on its roof, which has been described by many students as looking like something out of a science fiction movie. (See a not-so-good picture of it on the Broadside page.)

Useful George Mason University links:
http://www.gmu.edu Main homepage
http://www.gmu.edu/news/broadside/ Broadside, the official student newspaper
http://www.expulsion.org Expulsion, an independent GMU student newspaper

GMU is the only university in the Eastern US which has a department devoted to teaching the Russian language.

data source: official GMU publications