Spoons is a game that I have played before but with rather different set of rules:

  • There are (players -1) spoons piled in the middle of the floor around which all the players sit or crouch.
  • The dealer deals 5 cards to each person. If more than 10 people are playing, use 2 decks.
  • Once the cards are dealt, the dealer places the remainder of the cards face down in front of him (the pile) and draws one.
  • The dealer selects a card to discard. The discard is placed face down and slid to the person on the dealer's left.
  • The next player does the same. If a card goes once around the group, it is then placed face up beside the pile and a new card is drawn.
  • When a player gets three of a kind in their hand, they must take a spoon. If a player has three of a kind from the deal, they must grab a spoon once the dealer has drawn the first card. Once one player has grabbed a spoon, everyone else immediately grabs a spoon until some poor sod is left without. Brute force is encouraged.
  • The original spoon grabber must reveal their hand to show the three of a kind. If there was a violation, then that person is eliminated rather than the poor sod who got left without a spoon.
  • Remove one spoon and repeat until one person is left.

This is more enjoyable in the presence drinks and members of the opposite sex. However, we did stop playing after several spoons had been mutilated beyond recognition.