"I prefer a government run like hell by Filipinos to a government run like heaven by Americans."
Manuel Luis Quezon y Molina (1878 - 1944) Filipino statesman and second president of the Philippines.

Manuel Quezon fought for Philippine independence during the Philippine American War led by Emilio Aguinaldo. That ware ended in 1901, with Aguinaldo's surrender to the armed forces, and Quezon resumed his studies at the University of Santo Tomas, earning his law degree in 1903.

During his studies, Quezon became convinced that the only way for the Philippines to gain independence was to cooperate with the United States. In 1909, he became a resident comissioner to the US Congress, where he was allowed to speak, but not vote.

In the US Congress, he tirelessly worked towards gaining independence, culminating in the Tydings Mcduffie Act of 1934, creating the Philippine Commonwealth , and granting the Philippines its independence ten years after. In 1935, Quezon was elected the President of the Philippine commonwealth. He was reelected in 1941.

In 1942, the Japanese invaded the Philippines. Quezon fled to the United States, and formed a government in exile there. He remained in the United States until his death in 1944, two years shy of his dream of an independent Philippines coming true. Since he died before his term ended, his vice president Sergio Osmeña suceeded him.

Quezon City and the Quezon province were both named after him.


This writeup based heavily on the entry at britannica.com.