Oz was also a 1960's/70's underground magazine published in London by some no-good radical hippies. (This was what the sitcom Hippies was attempting to lampoon with the magazine 'Mouth'.)

Oz was faced with an obscenity trial following the inspired decision to hand over editorial duties to a bunch of schoolkids. (Although whether the schoolkids wrote the articles is a moot point - simply the idea of relating their risque content to children was seen as being beyond the pale.) The resulting issue was so spectacularly offensive* (by 1971 standards) that it landed the magazine's founders (Jim Anderson, Felix Dennis and Richard Neville) in deep water. They were in fact jailed for "conspiracy to corrupt public morals".

The greatest irony of the Oz trial was that one of the three founders, Felix Dennis, received a shorter prison sentence than the other two, due to, as the judge put it, him being "very much less intelligent than his fellow defendants." Dennis went on to found a publishing empire.

Initial ventures included the incredibly successful Kung Fu magazine, before Dennis Publishing moved towards computer-related mags such as (chronologically) Your Sinclair, Zero, Computer Shopper, PC Zone and PC Pro. Dennis also publishes the US and UK editions of Maxim, and has recently purchased CVG.

*It included a cartoon of Rupert the Bear ... ahem ... well, you can imagine.