Sea Change (Geffen Records, 2002) is the fifth major label album by Beck. It is his second album to be produced by Nigel Godrich (who previously produced Beck's Mutations and Radiohead's OK Computer). As with Mutations, it was recorded with Beck's touring band (with string arrangements handled by Beck's father, David Campbell), but this is where the similarities end. Whereas Mutations was a collection of older songs being recorded for the first time, with a couple of quickly-constructed jams thrown in, Sea Change is made up of new songs (with the exception of 'It's All in Your Mind') written in the wake of Beck's break-up with long-time partner Leigh Limon. The resulting album is a collection of slow, sad songs which document Beck's feelings on this subject directly. Through this context, Sea Change also addresses, possibly unintentionally, the criticism leveled at Beck's earlier work that it was lacking in conviction (most notably Midnite Vultures, which was seen by some as too overtly ironic, featuring as it did a tongue-in-cheek 'homage' to Prince among other somewhat calculated party pieces).

Musically, the songs draw on 1970's folk, with simple arrangements led by acoustic guitar. This framework is fleshed out with strings and synth atmospherics that keep the listener engaged without ever becoming imposing. The most striking thing about the record's sound is Beck's voice- there is much more emotion in the delivery than on anything he has done before. On the opening track (The Golden Age) this is immediately apparent, a desperate keening cutting through the normal laconic drone. Lyrically the record is also something of a departure, with the trademark skewed imagery and cut-up largely dispensed with. Sea Change's lyrics are more conventional, and could even be said to veer towards cliché in places.

As the title suggests, Sea Change gives the impression of foundations shifting, lamenting what has ended and looking towards a new and uncertain future. Even though it is relentlessly dour, it never descends into whining self-pity - there is a mood of resignation, that dwelling on negativity is a waste of time. At the end of all the introspection, there is an heartening anthem (Little One) and a quiet, refreshing number in closing (Side of the Road) where it sounds as if some resolution has been reached.

I highly recommend this record. It may be Beck's best album to date, and probably one with broader appeal than his 1990's stuff. (That said, I hope that we'll see another freaked-out Dust Brothers collaboration one day.)

Track Listing

  1. The Golden Age
  2. Paper Tiger
  3. Guess I'm Doing Fine
  4. Lonesome Tears
  5. Lost Cause
  6. End of The Day
  7. It's All in Your Mind
  8. Round The Bend
  9. Already Dead
  10. Sunday Sun
  11. Little One
  12. Side of the Road
  13. Ship in a Bottle (Japan-only bonus track)

The CD is available with four different covers.