Terence 'Spike' Milligan (1918-2002) was an Irish comic, actor, author and jazz musician. He spent his childhood in India and moved with his family to Britain at the age of 15. During the Second World War he served in an artillery unit. While in the army he enjoyed playing jazz trumpet. The first signs of his turbulent mental state became apparent after he suffered 'shellshock' and was hospitalised. After the war, Milligan turned to performing at the BBC with some friends (who would congregate at the Grafton Arms pub). Their sketch programme on the wireless (Crazy People) eventually developed into the Goon Show.

As a member of the Goons (along with Peter Sellers, Harry Secombe and in the early days Michael Bentine) he achieved massive fame in the 1950's. He wrote most of the Goon Show scripts, which was a hugely demanding job that cost him his marriage and led him to suffer a nervous breakdown (one of many in his life). After ending the Goon Show in 1960 (which was to return just once in 1972 with The Last Goon Show of All for the BBC's 50th anniversary), he concentrated on writing, producing over the course of his life over 50 books ranging from poetry to novels to war memoirs. (See writeups below.)

He has also appeared in numerous films and produced many series (at least 10) of Q Milligan, an anarchic TV sketch show which was undoubtedly a major influence on the Monty Python team. The majority of good British comedy is descended in some way from Spike's work- his brand of surrealism, twisted logic, wordplay and exuberant lampooning of authority in all forms are indelibly stamped on the nation's psyche (Ow!). Milligan has campaigned for several causes including animal rights. He received an honourary knighthood (as he is an Irish citizen) in the 2000 honours list. Much was made in the media of his long-time friendship with Prince Charles. He died of liver failure on February 27, 2002, the last of the Goons.

You see I've just rewritten all that and I notice that Teiresias has done it all much better. Blast!