I am so easily distracted. While searching an online Genealogical website I did not find anying about my ancestor in the February 26, 1910 issue of The Mountain Democrat newspaper of Placerville, California, but I did find the following news articles quite interesting and thought I'd share them for your possible enjoyment:

Chained Wife to Wall of Room
Because He Loved Her

Paris – The disappearance of the young wife of a druggist named Parat, whose pharmacy is near the scene of the Steinhell murder, was cleared up the other day when the police broke in and found the woman heavily chained between the bed and the wall, horribly scarred.

In addition to the chain, which was strongly padlocked around the neck, a cruel contrivance resembling a coat of mail, but strengthened by a belt of copper rings, enveloped the body. Both objects could be removed only by the use of keys.

The woman told a pitiful tale of two years’ imprisonment and martyrdom. Last November, when still in chains, she gave birth to her fifth child. The husband refused to call a doctor.

Parat, who was arrested, declared that he loved his wife, but was extremely jealous of her.


You've really got to watch out for those Christian Grey types! And now I feel I should research further just to see what the "Steinhell Murders" are all about. Spoiler Alert: the following "Ew, there's something gross in my food!" story will probably ruin your appetite for a popular summertime picnic fare:

Now He Knows Why a Sausage
Is Called "Hot Dog"

Los Angeles – The question, “Why is a wiener sandwich called a hot dog?" was answered in the development that followed the finding of two mutiliated bits of metal in one of the sausages which Mrs. G. E. Sewright cooked for her husband’s midday meal.

Sewright was enjoying the wieners when his teeth struck a hard substance, which on being drawn out, proved to be a bit of brass bearing the word “dog.” The second piece found in the same sausage was engraved with the number 1443.

Sewright stopped eating and hurried to the license bureau at the City Hall where his suspicions were verified by the information that license No. 1443 had been issued to Miss Anna Bell of 300 South Los Angeles street.

“Did you own dog license 1443?” Sewright asked when he reached Miss Bell’s home.

“Oh do you know where Sparker is?” eagerly inquired the young woman.

“Only part of him.” replied Sewright as he departed.


Gotta love that aplomb!