Yes, the recipe is correct--there is NO flour in these cookies! For those who doubt if the recipe 'works' let me assure you that it does. I have made these cookies for years and have even sold them at a market my family used to own. I use name-brand peanut butter for these cookies. I don't think the healthier organic types would work, but feel free to experiment (also note that if you want to make these gluten-free you should use vanilla which is NOT made using grain alcohol).

I call it "Number 1" for three reasons: all the ingredients are measured in equivalents of one (so it is easy to remember--well, for Americans it is!), it is super quick and easy (who doesn't like that?), and because of the great peanut-butter flavor (because there is no flour or margarine/butter to dilute the PB).

Number 1 Peanut Butter Cookies

  • 1 cup granulated sugar (200 grams)
  • 1 cup crunchy peanut butter (240 grams)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla (5 ml)

Preheat oven to 325F/165C. Line cookie sheet(s) with parchment paper. Using a wooden spoon, stir all of the ingredients together very well. Drop by well-rounded teaspoon 2 inches apart. Flatten in criss-cross pattern with fork dipped in sugar (I usually sprinkle a little additional sugar on top of the cookies--it gives them a little extra crunch and sparkle).

Bake 14 to 16 minutes until lightly browned. Cool on rack. NOTE: unlike many others which are great when eaten still warm from the oven, Peanut Butter cookies seem to taste best when cooled.

Makes about 15 cookies.