There are songs from the 1960s that I still enjoy, but there are several that now actually creep me out. This particular song from 1967 reached number one on some charts and apparently garnered the Ivor Novello Award for best song musically and lyrically.

Sure, the tune is still nice, but if you really listen to the lyrics of this one you can see at least three different scenarios:

1) She was, indeed, the man's girlfriend but has betrayed him by sleeping with another man. (So: why not just break up with her?)

2) She had been his girlfriend but they broke up and she moved on to someone new. (So: why not just see if you, too, can find another mate?)

3) This scenario is the just as likely: he was a stalker!

I've deconstructed the lyrics to show this scenario. Although I love music, I'm no lyricist and can't carry a tune in a bushel basket (I can do the "AHOOOO!" parts from Werewolves of London!), so you probably won't be able to sing my version of the "lyrics."

Due to copyright laws I'm not including the original song lyrics or even the name, but see if you can Guess That Song!
(I'm thinking of making this into a Category)

♫♪ I drive through her neighborhood.
It looks like she's got a lover there with her.♪♫

I am a stalker, she doesn't even know me.
I'm a little bit looney and I'm going for an insanity plea.

I don't even know your name, and you don't know me, but why, why, WHY are you deceiving me?

I am a stalker and I'm so creepy I can't get a girl, but in my mind this is all your fault.

I'm staking out your house, waiting for him to leave (I'm going to claim insanity, but I'm not nuts--he could beat me up!).

When I knock, she opens her door. She expects it's her lover, so she is laughing. I have a knife (this murder is premeditated).
That ends her laughter.

I like to pretend I'm a big strong guy so I call you by the name of a deceitful woman.

In classic victim-blaming I pretend your death is your own fault.

And now I'll ask your forgiveness like the pathetic wretch I am.