Vindaloo is potentially the most delicious food on the planet. This variation - using lamb - is, IMHO, better than Vindaloo made of chicken or pork. The secret to a great Vindaloo, as with any curry, does not lie completely with how it's made, but also the amount of time it's left after it has been made. I usually leave a Vindaloo for three to five days after making it until re-heating it and serving. Watch out, though - It gets more and more spicy the longer it's left, so don't use too many chillies.

With no further ado, here are the ingredients you will need to make the perfect lamb vindaloo:
  • 700g-1kg lamb, diced. This can be cut from chops, or any cut of lamb. The toughness of the lamb doesn't matter at all, because the curry is being left for days before serving, so the meat will tenderise a lot. Personally, I use a cut of lamb called backstrap, which isn't cheap (and is quite tough), but which softens up after a few days without disintegrating at all and soaking in all of the delicious spices of the curry.
  • 1-2 tbsp Vindaloo masala. I recommend Mangal brand.
  • A medium-sized onion, chopped.
  • Two cloves of garlic.
  • A little vinegar.
  • A few cardamom pods.
  • A little fresh coriander, finely chopped.
  • 1-4 small red chillies, finely chopped
  • .
  • Oil. I use mustard oil, but you could use canola-, olive- or whatever, as you're using a very small amount, anyhow.
  • Ghee or butter.
  • Salt.


And now for the method.
  1. Heat the ghee/butter and a small amount of oil in the pot you wish to cook the curry in (I recommend cast iron)
  2. Add the garlic and onion. Sweat the onion by continually stirring them so they don't brown. At the end of this the onion should be translucent.
  3. Mix the masala in with a small amount of vinegar in a cup to make a paste. Add this paste to the curry.
  4. Add the coriander and cardamom pods. Mix for a minute or two.
  5. Add the chillies and meat. Mix these all around well and let all of the flavours blend together, but don't let the meat seal too much.
  6. Add enough water to just cover the mixture completely, and no more. Add a few pinches of salt.
  7. Lower the temperature so the mixture isn't boiling, but just bubbling lightly. Put the lid on the pot and wait 20 minutes.
  8. Now, take the lid off and stir every 5 minutes or so until the liquid had completely evaporated.
    When it has, lower the temperature a little more and cook for another 10 minutes.
Leave the curry for 3-5 days, and when it's ready serve with Basmati rice and Pappadums. Also, Pakora goes well with vindaloo.