The OC Weekly calls itself "Orange County's News, Arts and Entertainment Publication". Every week, it provides the land behind the orange curtain with a free opinionated guide to what's happening and where. Its intrepid staff sound off on Long Beach poetry slams, Laguna Beach art gallery openings, concerts, clubs and restaurants all over the county, while cheerfully denouncing the conservative politics of their more respectable not-even-a-rival paper, the Orange County Register. It also runs great comics such as Red Meat, Troubletown, and This Modern World.

Like its New York cousing, The Village Voice, the OC Weekly runs the most entertaining personals ads around (e.g. "INHALE THE AROMA of my spiked heel stiletto while you lick the sweat off silky, soft, smelly feet. Smooth, super-sexy, long-haired Bi male, g-string model, seeking women, TS, CD, into smelly feet.") Plus there's those pages upon pages of women, sometimes in pairs, advertising everything from "Stimulating Rubs" to "No Rules. No Limits." And, of course, there's always Commie Girl, aka Weekly art critic Rebecca Schoenkopf, sounding off on the second to last page.

The OC Weekly is a Village Voice Media production released weekly on Thursdays in and around Orange County, wherever free print media is distributed.