The first glimpse Darrick Robinson provides Warren Ellis's readers of Transmetropolitan antihero Spider Jerusalem is of a hairy recluse (no pun intended; I just realized the brown recluse is a particularly venomous arachnid) forced out of his hermit lifestyle by a major publishing deadline. A few pages into the trade paperback Back on the Street later he is hairless but no less abrasively hyperactive, and you can see the spider tattoo on his scalp, which is pretty much my entire reason for this writeup. I remembered it and thought "damn, that's cool, and so is Spider; I'd better write something about him".

Spider writes the column "I Hate It Here" for The Word, to support his food, media, and drug habits whilst doing research for the long-overdue books whose due dates sent him out of hiding. "I Hate It Here" is pretty much straight-up rant about the warped future world Spider sees through his trademark live shades (sunglasses with mismatched lenses which take a still photo of everything he sees through them every 20 seconds or so). In one particularly awesome sequence, he more or less singlehandedly stops a police brutality riot without knowing it. Perched on the roof of a strip club, being called "fuckhead" by a few of its employees who followed him up out of a combination of boredom and curiosity, Spider sends a non-stop stream of observations on the horrific violence below to his editor, Royce, who has the text of this message broadcast live on the equivalent of a Times Square billboard. City Hall is flooded with calls from outraged citizens, and the cops are called off. Cool.