OF OOD

(Part of The Gods of Pegāna by Lord Dunsany)

Men say that if thou comest to Sundāri, beyond all the plains, and shalt climb to his summit before thou art seized by the avalanche which sitteth always on his slopes, that then there lie before thee many peaks. And if thou shalt climb these and cross their valleys (of which there be seven and also seven peaks) thou shalt come at last to the land of forgotten hills, where amid many valleys and white snow there standeth the "Great Temple of One God Only."

Therein is a dreaming prophet who doeth naught, and a drowsy priesthood about him.

These be the priests of MĀNA-YOOD-SUSHĀĪ.

Within the temple it is forbidden to work, also it is forbidden to pray. Night differeth not from day within its doors. They rest as MĀNA rests. And the name of their prophet is Ood.

Ood is a greater prophet than any of all the prophets of Earth, and it hath been said by some that were Ood and his priests to pray chaunting all together and calling upon MĀNA-YOOD-SUSHĀĪ that MĀNA-YOOD-SUSHĀĪ would then awake, for surely he would hear the prayers of his own prophet—then would there be Worlds no more.

There is also another way to the land of forgotten hills, which is a smooth road and a straight, that lies through the heart of the mountains. But for certain hidden reasons it were better for thee to go by the peaks and snow, even though thou shouldst perish by the way, that thou shouldst seek to come to the house of Ood by the smooth, straight road.


Prev: Of How Imbaun Spake of Death to the King
Index: The Gods of Pegāna
Next: The River