It's kind of sad actually. Some people play games to amuse themselves, some play because they enjoy it. Some play games just to blow some time until something more important comes along to do.

Me? I played solitaire every chance I could, waiting for someone to ask me if I was winning.

I'd play at the cafeteria table at lunch. At a study table in the library. Waiting for people to get out of my room for my next class? I'd play in the hall.

I really hate solitaire. I don't think I did back then, but I certainly hate it now. Shuffling and dealing, finding out you've got a bad hand within a single round and having to do it all over again. I began to think I'd be better off letting my brain atrophy by watching the linoleum peel.

Finally after all my hard work, I heard someone say

"You're always playing that. Are you winning?"

and finally, after a year, I was able to reply back with a straight face and a deadpan stare

"It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just as long as you get to play with yourself."

She high-tailed it out of there pretty quick without saying a word. I packed up my deck, put it in its box, and tossed it in the garbage.

My mission was complete. I didn't need it anymore.