The Parson’s Tale is a sermon on sins and contrition and explains several concepts. He goes into detail about penitence, describing the steps of penitence that lead to heaven, and further details some of these steps. He also talks about venial and deadly sin, and then goes into the seven deadly sins. After describing each sin and its effects, the Parson proposes remedies for each one, which basically amount to changes in attitude and behavior.

His tale, being a sermon, is definitely moralistic, delivering in no uncertain terms descriptions of the consequences of each sin he explains. It is meant to be taken to heart, and is thus also a serious tale, told with the purpose of informing and convincing the listeners.

The point the Parson tries to make is that sins such as pride, envy, anger, accidie, avarice, gluttony, and lechery can lead to dire circumstances, and so they should be avoided at all costs. He essentially says that people should not give in to such temptations, but rather follow the way of God through penitence and its steps of contrition, confession, satisfaction, grace, and Love of God.

In the Prologue, the Parson is described as a very devout and sincere man, and this is proven further in his tale when he lectures on the dangers of sin and the heavenly rewards of following God. His true concern for the religious welfare of his flock is also evident in the fact that he proposes solutions to the problems he describes, providing a remedy after each explanation. His piety and example to his followers is also evinced in the Prologue to the tale, where he says, “I’ll offer virtuous matter, moral teaching.... in reverence of Christ” (page 504).