A half-hour-long show, "Wishbone" stars Soccer the Jack Russell Terrier as a canine bibliophile named Wishbone (voice-over by Larry Brantley).

His family, teenager Joe Talbot (Jordan Wall) and his mother Ellen (Mary Chris Wall, who has appeared in the soap opera "The Bold and the Beautiful" and the feature film Inspector Gadget), lives in the small town of Oakdale, a friendly place where everybody knows each other. Joe's friends David Barnes (Adam Springfield) and Samantha Kepler (Christie Abbott) live in his neighborhood and spend a lot of time with him and Wishbone, going on adventures and helping out in their community.

Ellen is a librarian at their local library and in her spare time enjoys the friendship of next-door neighbor Wanda Gilmore (Angee Hughes). Wanda is an eccentric tree-hugger who runs the Oakdale Chronicle and constantly wars with Wishbone over his digging up her yard and disturbing her plastic flamingoes.

While Wishbone accompanies Joe and the gang on their adventures, he daydreams himself into characters in novels, providing a parallel plot in which he tells the stories of Homer, Alexandre Dumas, Mark Twain, and many others. As he becomes characters such as Ichabod Crane and Cyrano de Bergerac, Wishbone teaches kids about issues like loyalty, courage, and wisdom while throwing in amusing jokes and antics of his own.

At the end of each show, Wishbone and the people who produce the show tell about how something in the episode was done, like sound effects or camera tricks, or what some concept in the episode means, like the Greek word epithet.

The show is very entertaining for kids and also gets them to appreciate literary works and family values. Over the years, it has won the following awards:


Episodes of "Wishbone" can be seen on PBS; check your local listings.