In J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series, the Dursleys are Harry's only living relatives **spoiler for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban here** or so he believes until he finds out that he has a godfather, Sirius Black, in the third book.

When Harry's parents James and Lily Potter were killed, leaving him an orphan, the powers of good that were watching over him (Albus Dumbledore) sent him to the Dursleys house to live with them. The family was very upset to see someone of the wizarding world (they're a no-nonsense kind of clan), but the Dursleys did take him in. However, this is not to say that he became a part of their family. The Dursleys take every opportunity they can to mistreat Harry or to make him feel inferior to his cousin Dudley. Harry in turn spends every moment in their house wishing he were somewhere else, and stays at school over winter break, spending only summer break with the Dursleys.

When Harry found out in book three **spoilers for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban to end of paragraph** about his godfather Sirius Black, he had mixed emotions. At the time, Sirius had been convicted of killing 13 people with a single curse and had just escaped from the prison of Azkaban. When Harry finally found out that Sirius was innocent (details, see Sirius Black), he was excited to be able to go and live with him. However, Sirius could not be publicly cleared of any charges, so he is still on the run and Harry, much to his disappointment, must still live with the Dursleys.

The Dursleys appear in all four Harry Potter novels: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Look for the fifth book Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix to come out sometime in 2002.