An English-language weekly magazine published in and about Tokyo by Crisscross KK media.

Metropolis (metoroporisu in Katakana) is delivered to 67,500 subscribers and has an additional 30,000 readers beyond that, according to its publisher (http://metropolis.japantoday.com/common/crisscross/about_us.asp). Its readership is "79% business professionals in Tokyo with an average income of ¥437,375/month," again according to its publisher's statistics.

When I attended International Christian University's Summer Courses in Japanese in 2002, the administrators always had several dozen copies of Metropolis on hand. It's very useful for finding information on concerts, festivals, restaurants, and other information relevant to day-to-day life in Tokyo. While the magazine's articles are written entirely in English, they display a complete familiarity with Japanese culture and life in Tokyo.

By far, though, the most entertaining part of Metropolis is the classified ads. Since the magazine caters to expatriates and business travelers, specialty advertisers are always seen in the back pages. Ads for hostess bars promise huge payoffs for attractive foreign ladies, particularly blondes, looking for work. Head shops are also well-represented. Importers sell American groceries and items like books and movies at highly inflated prices.

Ads for merchandise and services are pretty boring. What intrigued my classmates and me were the personals. If you've never heard of enjo kosai, consider the personals to be a crash course. Some of the "men seeking women" ads are from "discreet" American businessmen who seek young Japanese women for fun. Likewise, some of the "women seeking men" ads come from young (19-21) Japanese women who want a sugar daddy to buy them expensive gifts. This doesn't describe all the ads, of course; many of them are for language instruction or friendship with a business or military person. Most of the personals are in English, but Metropolis prints ads in any language. Some ads are in Japanese, a few are in Chinese or Korean, and rare others are in western European languages. Every week my classmates and I would seek out the most outrageous ads from kinky 40-something white guys and Engrish-speaking ko gals alike.

All of the content in Metropolis, including those wacky personals, are on-line at http://metropolis.japantoday.com/. I strongly recommend it to any gaijin in need of a weekly guide to Tokyo.