I don't daylog, but I'm daylogging.

I was working this morning at the Carnegie Mellon University Information Desk when the plane went down in Queens. I hear about it from my co-workers and a friend who sent me a message via AIM. A lot of CMU students are from New York, and many of those are from the borough of Queens. As news trickles in, we switch into a mode all too familiar from September 11, 2001. A TV is set up in the Kirr Commons for people to huddle around. The large movie screen in the McConomy Auditorium is appropriated. I make up two signs.

University Center Advisory

All New York area airports (LaGuardia, JFK, and Newark) are closed due to the plane crash in Queens, NY.

November 12, 2001

And moments later, after McConomy goes on-line:

University Center Advisory

A live CNN news feed is available in the McConomy Auditorium.

November 12, 2001

"What? What happened?" ask the passersby. Many people on campus are prospective students and their parents, who arrived for a Sleeping Bag Weekend. Many of them are from the New York area. Many of them arrived by plane, and are now stranded for at least a day more. Fortunately, due to the Veterans Day holiday, many are not missing school or work today.

I was not working at the information desk on the morning of September 11, but I watched as people were bombarded with queries. Today, I must have explained the full story at least a dozen times. I wrote an executive summary for desk workers to explain to people with inquiries about the crash.

I try not to speculate when in a position such as the information desk. However, personally, I believe that today's crash is not terrorist-related. It was an international flight to a neutral destination. An engine on fire separated, meaning that mechanical failure is undoubtedly the cause. Sabotage? I don't think so, but it's hard not to ignore the possibility. Classes are not cancelled as they were in September, but many people are undoubtedly concerned. Some will not head home today. Some will never want to fly again.

I do not feel safe.