The new version of The $25,000 Pyramid in syndication, which debuted in Fall 2002. Pyramid is hosted by singer/actor Donny Osmond and features two contestants paired with minor celebrities (Terri Garr and Fred Willard, to name two).

The main game proceeds much like the original Dick Clark version, except that contestants must try to get 6 answers in 20 seconds instead of 7 answers in 30 seconds. Answers are given by one person reading off a laptop computer (instead of the rotating TV on the original) in a specific category. Players go back and forth choosing punny categories from a set of six, including the hidden "SUPER 6" that grants a bonus prize if the contestant gets all six answers correct. The winner after this round (with an optional tiebreaker) goes to play the pyramid for a shot at $10,000 and later an additional $15,000. A guide to the pyramid round is found in the original's node.

The game plays very similarly to the original, although the high-tech gloss manifests itself with plasma screens everywhere and a bluish color scheme evocative of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? rather than the orange shag carpet of the original. Osmond is a good host who knows when to step aside without hot dogging too much. The winners of $25,000 will come back to play in a tournament for $100,000.

The show is produced by Sony Pictures Television, and features large amounts of Sony product placement. For example, the laptops used during the preliminary rounds are all Sony VAIOs. The Plasma screens are also Sony (Sony WEGA?). By winning the Super Six category, the contestant either wins a trip or some über-cool Sony gadget like a DV camera or a minidisc player.

I've only seen a few of these episodes on my local NBC affiliate in syndication, but it's a good show. People really need to rush to get 6 answers in 20 seconds, so scores tend to be lower and there are far fewer perfect ties than the original. The "what have you been up to lately" banter given to the celebrity guests is a little more obvious but not too distracting. Overall, a nice syndicated effort and a must-see for any game show junkie.