For various reasons, I only had a few hours sleep the night before. I’d had a headache for nearly a full day. This morning I flew Detroit - Nashville - Raleigh, then drove to Charleston. A long day no matter how you look at it.

Sometimes when everything seems like so much work, there comes a payoff. A gentle time where I can relax and enjoy the world around me. And it happened just that way in Charleston! As I crested the rise approaching the city I saw the moon rising to the East. A nearly full moon, beautiful. For the first time in 24 hours I smiled, and realized that I hadn’t smiled in so long! The next morning my headache as gone and I had slept better than I had in weeks.

The next night I took some time to drive out to the beach near the house that I was considering, and went for a walk. The sand seemed to be the softest I’ve ever experienced. The water even seemed soft. The waves were moderate, along with the breeze. I realized I had probably walked too far when the sun set, and I’d have to find where I entered the beach in the dark. I started walking back, focusing only on getting there, but something made me stop about 3/4 of the way and look back. There was the moon again, now full. A huge red orb rising out of the ocean. I stood for I don’t know how long, staring.

Some cultures believe that when the sun sets, he is impregnating our mother earth. Throughout the night the sun gives the seed of life which will come to fruition. I think when the moon rises, she brings hope.

I forget that sometimes that I take things just too seriously. I get too wrapped up in what is going on around me, even if it won’t matter at all a hundred years from now.

I got lucky in Charleston. Or some great spirit smiled upon me. I found a really cool house to live in, and I can just afford it. I’ll be in debt for the next 30 years. But I’ve seen other people buy and live in houses without any ill effects. I think I can do it too. At least I hope so! I’m investing a lot in it.