This movie is excellent, in my humble opinion, on multiple levels.


If one evaluates the movie for it's sheer face value, it's an entertaining, energetic flick. Lots of action, done in that independent film style, where nothing's quite Hollywood quality, but the effects are top notch for something low budget. This movie is also full of many memorable one-liners. This could be attributed to the extreme lack of dialouge, but this fact only enhances the lines that are said. Many were quoted earlier, but one of my favorites was missed:

"Only one man could kill this many Russian's..."

Six String Samurai can hold a person's attention for the entire film. From the beginning sword fight in a field, to the ending guitar duel with Death (which everyone knows is coming) it's a fun, entertaining movie.


Six String Samurai can also be interpreted on a completely different level. If one examines the symbolism throughout the film, it becomes more engrossing and thought-provoking. (Somewhat like Final Fantasy VIII, but I'm not going there right now.) The little kid that's found to be extremely annoying during the film, most likely due to his nerve-wracking whine and his complete inability to use the English language throughout most of the film, can be seen as Buddy's innocence. In the beginning of the movie, when Buddy first encounters the kid he is a ruthless, bloodthirsty killer, with no concern toward the world around him. Buddy refuses to acknowledge his innocence, or conscience as you may want to call it, so he repeatedly tries to rid himself of the kid. Buddy even goes so far as to leave the kid with a 1950's television family gone bad. (Think Leave it to Beaver, but with a taste for human flesh.) Yet Buddy always finds himself coming back to rescue the kid, who, in turn, assists Buddy on his journey to Lost Vegas. This cycle continues throughout the film, with Buddy continually returning to rescue his "friend" until Buddy is willing to sacrifice everything in return for the safety of 'the kid'. This shows that Buddy has found his innocence, due to his acceptance of having the kid tag along, but Buddy's feral nature rubs off on the kid, and the little tyke becomes less innocent and more ruthless as the film progresses. Not to the extent of what Buddy was at the beginning. Instead, the two find a happy medium at which they compromise. This transformation is revealed in the last scene of the film, but you'll have to watch it yourself to see that.


Indy films should never be taken for face value.